Intro

It's time for a reality check ...

Maybe we’ve reached the point of diminishing astonishment.

But I suspect that much of what we’re hammered with every day really doesn’t make much of an impact on most of us anymore. We’ve heard the same stories too often. We’ve been exposed to the same issues for so long without any meaningful resolution. We recognize that reality is rapidly becoming malleable, primarily in the hands of whoever has the biggest microphone. How else can we explain a society where myth asserts itself as reality, based entirely how many hits it gets online?

We know that many of the “issues” as defined are pure crapola, hyped by politicians on both sides pandering to “the will of the people,” which is still more crapola. Inevitably, it’s not the will of all the people they reflect, but the will of relatively small groups of people with disproportionate political influence.

Nobody wants to face up to the realities of the issues. Nobody wants to say what’s right or wrong – even when it’s obvious and there are numbers to back it up. Most of us are afraid to bring up the realities for fear of being accused of being insensitive or downright mean.

So we say nothing. Until now.

It’s time for a reality check on the fundamentals – much of which is common knowledge to many of us, already. But it might be comforting to know you are not alone …

Sunday, March 28, 2021

Everyone wants us to talk about race ...

So then, let’s talk. 

Let me start by saying I honestly don’t care what skin color anybody is.  Or what race they are, either. Seriously, I don’t. 

Skin color or race don’t define anything for me.  Character and ability do.

I’m not blind – I can clearly see what color someone is and could take a reasonable guess at their race if I tried.  But I don’t bother. Because I simply don’t care. 

That also means I don’t think anyone’s skin color or race makes them special in any way.  Nor should they be entitled to anything just because of either one. Or discriminated against, either.    

It may make a lot of folks angry that I don’t care.  That’s apparently intolerable to many who think I have some moral responsibility to care deeply about skin color or race.  Too bad.    

Protestors have spent several months tearing down statues, rioting, looting and assaulting the residents, businesses and police in city after city so that people like me pay attention to them solely because of their skin color or race.  I suppose their plan for me and others like me was to be so scared of them, or feel so guilty, that we’d decide they deserved super-special treatment. 

Speaking only for myself, it didn’t work. All I saw was violent mobs tearing down things that had absolutely nothing – in my mind – to do with the claimed source of their anger. Which, I’ve been told repeatedly, is “racial injustice,” whatever that is.  Nobody can define it. 

The whole Black Lives Matter stuff left me cold. And still does. Of course, black lives matter. But so do white lives, Hispanic lives, Asian lives, Native American lives, Pacific Islander lives, police lives, and all other lives matter. All human lives matter. Not just black lives.

But if you say that aloud you’re called a racist.  Go figure.

No one deserves special treatment or punishment because of their skin color or race. If you commit a serious crime and get caught, you’ll get arrested and maybe get punished.  It doesn’t matter what color or race you are.  Nor does the colors or races of the cops.  What does matter is how many other times you’ve been arrested and convicted before now, the severity of those priors, and the crime you're accused of now. 

That’s how it’s supposed to work. That’s equal justice under the law. For the most part, it works just that way day in and day out.  Objective data bear that out.    

The same goes for officer involved shootings. Draw a weapon on a cop and you are likely to get shot; the cops only see the weapon, not your skin color or race. In fact, these days in many urban areas it’s highly likely the cop who shoots you will be the same skin color and race as you.    

The fact that we’re all supposed to be treated equally under the law regardless of race, religion or ethnicity is one of the great appeals of our country to others around the world.

Another great appeal of our country is that, by law and by custom, you’re innocent until proven guilty. The burden of proof always rests on the accuser, not the person being accused.  And what really infuriates the people who always yell racism about everything all the time is that they can almost never prove it.  Then again, they don’t care about proving anything.

They scream racism merely as a tactic to end discussion the same way a dog barks to get you to stop whatever you’re doing. They don’t want to listen to reason or facts any more than a dog does; they just want to get their way.    

I don’t care if anyone calls me a racist. I know I’m not, no matter how hard the media and some people try to make me feel like one.  There’s no proof.  I can’t think of a single instance that I made even the most minor decision based on skin color or race, or gender or sexual orientation for that matter, for or against, in my entire personal or business life.  Not one.  

I seriously doubt anyone who has ever known or worked with me could either. 

That said, it’s nothing to be overly proud of.  These simply were never issues I considered that important.  I acted out of complete and total indifference, not bravery or compassion or some abstract dedication to diversity or political correctness.  I did nothing special.

That’s why I don’t feel compelled to wear my indifference to anyone’s skin color or race on my sleeve, nor bring it up in every conversation or argument.  It’s so irrelevant it’s boring.   

My guess is most Americans of any skin colors or races probably feel the same way by now. The only racists among us are those who think skin color and race are an individual’s single most important attribute, above all else, even more important than the content of their character.  

So are we done here? 

No comments:

Post a Comment