Intro

It's time for a reality check ...

Maybe we’ve reached the point of diminishing astonishment.

But I suspect that much of what we’re hammered with every day really doesn’t make much of an impact on most of us anymore. We’ve heard the same stories too often. We’ve been exposed to the same issues for so long without any meaningful resolution. We recognize that reality is rapidly becoming malleable, primarily in the hands of whoever has the biggest microphone. How else can we explain a society where myth asserts itself as reality, based entirely how many hits it gets online?

We know that many of the “issues” as defined are pure crapola, hyped by politicians on both sides pandering to “the will of the people,” which is still more crapola. Inevitably, it’s not the will of all the people they reflect, but the will of relatively small groups of people with disproportionate political influence.

Nobody wants to face up to the realities of the issues. Nobody wants to say what’s right or wrong – even when it’s obvious and there are numbers to back it up. Most of us are afraid to bring up the realities for fear of being accused of being insensitive or downright mean.

So we say nothing. Until now.

It’s time for a reality check on the fundamentals – much of which is common knowledge to many of us, already. But it might be comforting to know you are not alone …

Tuesday, March 7, 2017

I don’t care …

There’s only so much you can care about.  I’ve reached my limit.

I’m suffering from a serious “care” overload.  I can’t possibly care about everything – whether that’s what the media, the Democrats, the Republicans, Trump, St. Jude’s Hospital, the ASPCA, poor Jews in Israel, immigrant-rights activists, and innumerable others want me to care about.

It’s all one big blur anymore. 

Everything related to Trump is too much. And we're all supposed to care. Every time the man does anything you can be certain somebody will be outraged.

He puts out an Executive Order about immigration. The media, Democrats and immigration-rights groups go nuts. He amends the order in response to make it more acceptable and less draconian. The media, Democrats and immigration-rights groups go nuts.  Again. 

I swear, Trump could issue an Executive Order establishing a national kitten and puppy day and somebody, somewhere would be outraged.

I can hear it now: Chuck Schumer or Nancy Pelosi saying something like “if only he cared as much about poor undocumented immigrants and their families as he does about kittens and puppies …” PETA would be in the streets protesting his “support” of kitten and puppy mills. Ezekiel Emmanuel would be on CNN talking about how this is unfair to children with life-threatening pet-dander allergies, especially since they will no longer get treatment after Trump repeals the Affordable Care Act.  There would be people upset that he was favoring kittens and puppies over endangered species.   

Black Lives Matter folks would be pissed that … well … they are always pissed. As, it seems, everyone else is these day. Everybody is looking for something to be outraged over.   

It just never ends.    

No detail of what Trump does goes unreported.  The perfect example is the news that Trump recently had an overcooked $54 steak with ketchup. I’m serious – that made the news.     

Now, certainly he has his faults. Those are too numerous to even begin listing.  But for Christ’s sake, if he likes burnt steak with ketchup, who cares?  I don’t. 

Here’s a list of other things I find equally important to caring about Trump’s steak:

“If silver only reaches its recent all-time high …”
Mike Lindell’s latest My Pillow offer …
“Rosland Capital ships my gold fast … “
“For only $19 a month …”
“Get this love-to-the-rescue blanket that shows you care …”

Get the picture?  Enough is enough. 

The worst, by far is the political circus. 

The other day I watched Lethal Weapon 3 and Lethal Weapon 4 back to back – on regular cable, with commercial interruptions – rather than the never-ending saga of claims, counter claims, counter-counter claims, and counter-counter-counter claims of who is accusing whom of doing whatever in Washington. That should tell you something. 

It’s gotten to where I can’t even stand to watch any news but local news, which, given where I now live, is really pathetic. Half the reporters in the field look and act like kids still in high school wearing borrowed clothes; the other half are like cast-offs from bottom-tier media markets who retired to Florida and still do the odd report to stay in the biz. 

The local news itself is mostly a non-stop litany of who got murdered by whom in Orlando – typically somewhere in the Pine Hills area; where the latest brush fires are; and traffic accidents on I4 causing backups for miles. Oh, and the local weather forecasts, which, this being Central Florida, are pretty much the same every day and about as accurate as a Magic Eight Ball. 

However, it’s a refreshing change from the national news. 

It’s not that I’ve turned my back on “important news” altogether – I still get The Wall Street Journal at home to learn what’s really happening in the world.

It’s just that so much of what the national broadcast media – NBC, CBS, ABC and Fox – consider “important news” isn’t really that important. At least not at this time. And I have lost patience with all of the networks for substituting opinion and bickering for real news I could use. 

Too often these days I feel like I’m caught in the middle of a perpetual pissing match between nitwits on both sides of the aisle who resort to invective and talking over each other instead of bringing something meaningful to a debate. It’s like being in a household with parents who bicker over every little thing.  I’d rather not participate, even as a viewer.    

Do I care what Chuck Schumer has to say? Nope. Do I care what Trump says? Nope.  Do I care what Rand Paul says? Nope. John McCain? Nope. Do I care what Nancy Pelosi says? Nope.  Do I care what the Republican or Democrat strategist or spokespuppet du jour has to say? Nope.  Do I care who won at the Academy Awards, the Grammys, the Screen Actors’ Guild Awards, the People’s Choice Awards, the Golden Globes, the Emmys and whatever other awards shows there are – and what the emcees and recipients said? Nope.   

The old line about “sound and fury signifying nothing” comes to mind. 

If something meaningful comes up, some news that’s actually important, I’m sure The Wall Street Journal will report  it. I can wait until the next issue to find out. 

Until then, I’ll watch something else; something that doesn’t demand I care.  

No comments:

Post a Comment